mandag 29. november 2010

Retreat

I have retreated this weekend, and it was beautiful! There was yoga sessions twice a day, and every day I had a new teacher and a new yoga style. It was interesting to try out new poses, and I got to try my shoulder stand, something I haven't done since before summer. I thought I needed more props to be able to do the pose, but I must have improved my abdominal strength or something, because I flew right up into the pose. Well, not exactly, but in a much more graceful way now than before. I've always done this pose with a lot of padding under the shoulders, but this time I just did it on the mat, and it worked out fine. It feels like my neck is limiting me in this pose, or maybe it's my whole back, or just my buddah belly..? I cannot touch the feet to the floor in plough pose! I want to be better at this pose, because of all the benefits one reaps from inversions. Maybe I'll incorporate it into my daily practice.

But not this week. I'm on my "ladies holiday" - blah! When the cramps are over I'll do some light, relaxing stretches, but no inversions during this period! B. K. S. Iyengar's book "Yoga, the path to holistic health" has a recommended sequence for menstrual cramps, with baddhakonasana and virasana, both seated and reclined, and also some side stretches and forward bends, and a lot of supported poses.
The best yoga class was the last. We did Iyengar yoga, and it made me realize how much I've missed doing this type of yoga. The thorough instructions and the use of props and slow progression - I love it!! The teacher was strict, but loving - just like my teacher back home!! <3 And it was by far the best workout of all the yoga classes. This was an intermediate class, and so she made us hold the poses for a long time, then repeating them, and making sure we did them properly! We worked on the warrior poses, and as she said; there is no hiding from the warrior poses, you cannot cheat. She pointed out that during warrior 2, I tuck my butt in too much, a habit I got from my power yoga instructor, who wants us to tuck it as much as possible. I'm quite bendy and so as much as possible is quite a lot. This one class made such a difference for me, and was truly inspirational! I'm looking forwards to signing up for Iyengar yoga next quarter.
All the pictures are taken from the dharma yoga center webpage, and are from Sri Dharmas (That can't be his real name??) Master Yoga Chart.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar