tirsdag 23. november 2010

Last Power Yoga class - Natarajasana


I had my last Power Yoga class yesterday - a class I signed up for involuntarily. I wanted to take an Iyengar class at the student gym, but it got cancelled due to lack of interest (what?!). This left me with the choice of finding another class after all registration deadlines or taking a power yoga class. I sort of regret my choice, but it might have been good for me to step outside my comfort zone and try something new. It made me realize that I'm capable of going further than I think in some postures, and I got to try some arm balances and stuff I would normally not do. It also made me realize that my arms really aren't that strong - they need some more exercise! 

The last class was really hard, my arms and thigh muscles were shaking afterwards. Almost at the end of class out instructor wanted us to do Natarajasana, the dancers pose. I like this pose, but it really challenges my balance. This time I was struggling even more than usual. My teacher wanted us to hold on to the outside of our foot, not the inside, like I am used to. I looked it up, and the moderate poses show the grasp being on the inside. But my teacher aims for the sky, and I notice that advanced versions of this pose has one or both hands grasping the foot from above the head. I will focus a bit extra on this pose in the future, as it fits my other ambitions; I am working towards a royal pigeon, and also being able to do the splits and enhance my balance. 

This is what I would like to look like; beautiful picture by Elena Ray:


Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar